St. Bede Academy, located 100 miles southwest of Chicago, was founded in 1890 by a group of Benedictine Monks. Originally St. Bede was an all-boys high school which included a significant number of boarding students. The Academy became co-ed in 1973, but the boarding school remained all-male. In 1981 the boarding school was closed.
We are presently a co-ed college prep school with 300 students. Due to interest from alumni and foreign students, we resumed the boarding program during the 2007-2008 school year and our facilities were filled to capacity.
We have established a living situation that combines the structure of a boarding school with a small group living experience. The male boarding students live in a residence constructed on the St. Bede campus in 2011. The female boarding students will live in a residence constructed in 2009. The new residences are located just north of the academy building at the heart of St. Bede's beautiful 400 acre campus. Each boarding home is supervised by a married couple who live in the boarding homes with their children. We believe this living situation provides an ideal model for a secondary school student who desires a residential option.
Fees for the 2016-2017 school year are available by contacting Dr. Ted Struck
- Room, Board and Tuition
- Textbooks and class fees
- Admission to school events
- Standardized Achievement Test-PLAN test during So. year and ACT test during Jr. year.
- Senior retreat
- Graduation expenses and announcements
- Transportation from airport in August and to airport in late May
- Computers will be available for student use at the boarding residence
If parents wish, the student's spending money may be managed by our school business office.
Fees do not include:
- Sports packages for various extra extra-curricular sports and activities.
The boarding facility will be closed during the two week Christmas break. Students must have health insurance before being accepted.
While we accept students in each grade level, we will only accept 12th grade students if they will be able to graduate with their class. When a student is accepted, he/she will be required to send a $4,000 non-refundable deposit. Applications are available on our website. A student must also submit a copy of their transcripts, two letters of recommendations from teachers or school officials, proof of reasonable proficiency in English, and a short essay about themselves and their goals.
Saint Bede Academy Boarding Program Process
Students applying to the St. Bede Academy Boarding Program are required to complete all the steps, documents and forms listed below.
Please begin with the following step by step guide.
Face to Face Interview
- Online Skype interview to be scheduled by Dean of Boarding, Abbot Philip Davey. Click button to email him directly.
- Complete and submit with a copy of your Passport page that states your name to: Dr. Ted Struck
Transcripts & ITEP Scores
- Submit by email to Dr. Ted Struck then present original when you arrive at St. Bede Academy
(Official Transcripts from 7th grade to current must be presented)
- If the prior four items are completed and approved you will be emailed your Acceptance Letter from Superintendent, Dr. Ted Struck.
- Account Invoice will be issued by email from Business Office Manager, Eve Postula. Upon receipt of the Acceptance Deposit your I-20 will be mailed to you.
After receiving your Acceptance Letter and I20 (for international students) please print, complete and email the following forms to The Registrar, Tara Bradford by July 15th or one month prior to arriving. Then present the original forms to the school office when you arrive at Saint Bede Academy.
After you arrive at St. Bede Academy present the original forms from Steps 1 & 2 and the following items to the school office. A copy will be made of the items listed below for your file and the original items will be returned to you.